- 11 Apr 2022
Gold Image Standards
- Updated on 11 Apr 2022
Expedient Enterprise Workspace - Gold Image Standards
This document outlines recommended settings when configuring a virtual machine template for use as a VDI and is intended as a quick reference. For more step-by-step instructions, please see Preparing and Importing VM Templates.
Please note that certain configurations differ if you use the template for persistent or non-persistent VDIs.
The following settings apply to both persistent and non-persistent desktops.
- Naming Convention: The template should be appended with something to indicate if it is to be used for persistent or non-persistent desktops. (-P or -NP, for example)
- VMHW: VM Hardware (VMHW) version 15.
- OS setting: Windows 10 (64-bit)
- Virtualization Based Security: OFF
- CPU: 2 vCPUs
- Memory: 4GB (note: this is fine for the template; images will be given the correct amount of memory by the platform when instantiated as a VDI in production).
- Disk(s): One 32GB disk (note: this is fine for the template; images will be given the correct amount of disk space by the platform when instantiated as a VDI in production)
- Storage Controller(s): One PVSCSI controller
- Network Adapters: VMXNET3 network adapter
- Video card Settings: Video Memory set to 32MB
- Advanced Settings: devices.hotplug = false
- Template Format: OVF
Horizon DaaS Agent Settings
These settings are set during the deployment and installation of the VMware HDaaS Agent. If an option is not explicitly stated here, it is assumed to be the default.
- Instant Clone
- Set to ON for NON-PERSISTENT image templates.
- Set to OFF for PERSISTENT image templates.
- Horizon Performance Tracker = ON
- USB Redirection = ON
- Dynamic Environment Manager = ON
All other settings remain on their default installation settings.
Operating System Settings
These settings are applied to Windows 10 through the VMware Optimization Tool. Because many settings can be applied using the OS OptimizationTool, you can assume they are set to the default options if not explicitly stated here.
- Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise
- Recovery Partition:
- PERSISTENT: Relocated to be at the beginning of the C:\ partition (to accommodate future volume expansions of the C:\ volume).
- NON-PERSISTENT: Removed entirely.
- The latest version of VMtools
- Horizon DaaS Agent should be up-to-date.
VMware Optimization Tool
These settings are applied to the OS through VMware's OS Optimization Tool. The tool uses different tabs to enable/disable settings in bulk. This section describes the OSTool's different tab settings:
All settings on the Analyze/Optimize section are run with their defaults.
The following three settings should be enabled (defaults for settings vary depending on the version of OSOptimizationTool is being used):
- Windows Firewall = ON
- Windows Antivirus = ON
- Windows Security Center = ON
The following settings are applied during the Generalization step of the Optimization Tool:
- Time Zone = US East
- Set to ON for NON-PERSISTENT image templates
- Set to OFF for PERSISTENT image templates
- Admin username and password
- NON-PERSISTENT Leave blank passwords (defaults) for image templates. Auto-login should be enabled.
- PERSISTENT: Set username to Administrator and password. Document this within your organization; Expedient will have no access to this.
All settings on the Finalize step of the Optimization Tool remain their defaults.
Preparing/Importing VM Templates KB: https://kb.expedient.com/docs/preparing-and-importing-vm-templates
Creating Images KB: https://kb.expedient.com/docs/creating-images-and-getting-started-with-desktops
VMware KB for manually creating gold images: https://techzone.vmware.com/manually-creating-optimized-windows-images-vmware-horizon-vms#